The word “uttihita” is derived from a Sanskrit word meaning “extended”, ”hasta” meaning “hand”, “pada” meaning “foot”, “angusta” meaning “big toe” and “asana” meaning “posture” or “seat”.
Steps To Be Followed:
- Stand straight with your legs together.
- Lift your right leg bending your right knee, get it closer to your abdomen on the right side.
- Now get your right hand between the right thigh and abdomen, hold the outer side of your right foot with your right palm.
- Straighten your right knee and hold it infront of your chest such that your right leg is parallel to the mat and maintain balance in this position.
- Now slowly swing your leg towards your right such that it forms right angle to the mat.
- Keep your left hand stretched at shoulder level.
- Stay in this posture for 7-10 breaths (each breath must be 6-8 seconds).
- Now slowly release your hand drop your leg on the mat and relax.
- Repeat this with left leg.
- It helps in strengthening the legs, ankles.
- It helps in improving balance.
- It helps in stretching the hamstrings.
- It helps in improving concentration.
Ankle injury, Severe pain in the lower back, Lower back injuries.
Disclaimer:- Please practice under the supervision of Yoga Teacher/ Yoga expert